The beauty industry has continued to evolve tremendously over the years. With more advanced and effective therapies, it has become easier to combat the early signs of ageing. Suppose you want to get rid of premature wrinkles and uneven skin tone and improve the overall health of your skin. In that case, one of the popular procedures available is PRP facial rejuvenation. Here at Susan A. Baker, M.D, we are proud to offer PRP facial rejuvenation to turn back the clock and make you look younger again. PRP therapy is a minimally invasive procedure that boosts collagen production, eliminates fine lines and wrinkles and improves the appearance of your skin. This anti-ageing treatment offers several exciting benefits to the skin. Here is more about the popular treatments and how they can help you look younger.
What is a PRP Facial Rejuvenation?
PRP (platelet-rich plasma) facial rejuvenation, A.K.A. vampire facial, is a groundbreaking skincare treatment that utilizes the natural power of your body to heal itself. The facial treatment involves using your blood plasma and platelets on your face. Blood comprises four primary components: white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets and plasma. Platelets help the blood clot and consist of growth components that help heal injuries. All four blood components are separated by density to derive the concentrated levels. The concentration of the growth factors in PRP therapy can be five to ten times richer than the normal platelet distribution.
PRP facials bank on the body’s natural healing abilities through a concentration of blood platelets smeared on your face and micro-needled into the skin. Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure whereby a series of superficial, tiny holes puncture your skin using sterile needles. When microneedling and PRP are combined, they stimulate collagen production and produce a tightening effect on the skin.
When the plasma gets into your skin, it eliminates the fine lines and wrinkles in your face, giving you a fuller, smoother look and feel. You may opt to have just one facial or a series of regular treatments. The best thing about regular treatments is that you will continue to notice long-lasting results. PRP is also used to clinically treat the following:
- Fine and lines Wrinkles
- Dull skin
- Acne scarring
- Sun damage
- Age spots
- Dark spots
- Stretch marks
- Hair and volume loss
- Crow’s feet
- Rough skin texture
- Skin laxity
- Uneven skin tone
- Helps athletes recover more quickly after an injury
- Speeds up wound healing
- Lessening dark under-eye circles
It is essential to inform your doctors about any medications you are taking before your treatment.
- Avoid taking aspirin, blood thinning medications, and herbal supplements for at least a week before the procedure. This helps minimize the chances of bruising at the draw site.
- Avoid caffeine before the procedure.
- Have a light meal before going for the procedure.
- Take at least eight glasses of water 24 hours before the procedure and at least 12 ounces on the morning of the procedure. This makes it easier to draw blood.
- Do not take alcohol a day before your treatment because it can cause dehydration and increase the risk of bruising
- Avoid retinoid, vitamin C products, glycolic acid and makeup a week before treatment
- Do not wax or go for laser treatments at least 48 hours before the procedure
- Do not take NSAIDs at least 48 hours before the procedure
- Wear sunscreen every time you are outdoors for seven days before the procedure.
What to Expect
It is best to arrive at your appointment bare-faced- no makeup, moisturizer or skin care products. Your face will be cleaned before treatment to eliminate any impurities, makeup, dead skin, or dirt. Before treatment, a topical numbing cream may be applied to numb your skin and minimize discomfort.
- During the procedure, a small amount of blood will be drawn from your arm.
- The blood is taken to the lab, placed in a device known as a centrifuge, and spun vigorously to separate your blood components into layers. One layer contains a high concentration of plasma-rich cells, platelets and growth factors.
- The high concentration of platelets will be extracted and injected into your face using a syringe or a microneedling device. The device resembles a lint roller with very fine needles sticking out.
- Your doctor may inject a filer to produce immediate results. You may experience mild stinging during the procedure. Once the PRP is directly injected into your skin, your body absorbs it to utilize the components and work on your skin fully. The whole procedure takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
After the treatment, you may experience temporary redness, swelling and bruising. Your doctor will inform you how best to care for your skin as you recover.
When Can I See the Results?
Results may take a while, especially if it is your first facial. You may begin noticing skin tightening within a few days after treatment. Your face will glow and appear firm and fuller. Results last several months. Three to six treatments are recommended for best results at six to eight-week intervals.
Who Can Have PRP Rejuvenation?
PRP therapy is safe for most people. However, it is not recommended for people with the following conditions:
- Cardiovascular diseases that require blood thinners
- Skin cancer in the area to be treated
- Any type of blood cancer
- HIV or AIDS
- Hepatitis C
These conditions impact your platelets and cannot produce reliable PRP results.
You can benefit from PRP rejuvenation therapy if you:
- Have fine lines and wrinkles and want to get rid of them
- Feel your skin looks older than it should
- Are afflicted by hyperpigmentation
- Suffer from acne scars
- Have uneven skin tone
- Want tighter, firmer skin
- Are not ready for a facelift
- Have dry skin
What Are the Benefits of PRP Facial Rejuvenation?
PRP treatments offer great benefits for the skin, which include:
- The treatment is quick and convenient. It can take less than an hour to complete depending on the size of the treatment area
- It is a natural alternative to other facial treatments since it utilizes your own blood
- Increased collagen production naturally
- Enjoy firm, tighter skin
- Enhanced skin tone and texture
- Reduced Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Improve Hair Health & Volume
- Long-lasting results which may take up to a year or longer before going for additional treatments
- Low risk of allergic reactions since it utilizes your own blood
- It can be combined with other treatments, such as microneedling, for even better results
- PRP is nonsurgical since there are no lasers, incisions, or scars
- The treatment does not hurt
- It is safe and effective
- PRP facial can be used by both men and women
- PRP has minimal contraindications
- PRP therapy is cost-effective
- PRP treatments offer total rejuvenation
- It can be used to treat delicate and hard-to-reach areas
- There is no downtime
- No special preparations are necessary
If you want to rejuvenate your skin for younger-looking results, contact the team at Susan A. Baker, M.D. today or schedule an appointment online. We are glad to help.