Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a rheumatologist?

A: A rheumatologist, also known as an internal medicine specialist, or internist, is a doctor specializing in the treatment and management of arthritis and other rheumatic diseases in both children and adults.

Q: Who should I speak with about my arthritis?

A: If you are considering treatment for your arthritis in Los Angeles, contact an internal medicine doctor or a rheumatologist.

Rheumatologist and Internist Beverly Hills

Q: Who is at risk for arthritis?

A: Several factors are associated with developing arthritis. For example, arthritis is more common in women, the elderly, and individuals who are overweight or obese.

Q: What causes arthritis? A: Arthritis is associated with a number of causes including certain types of infections, genetic defects, or diseases.

Q: What is dermatitis herpetiformis?

A: Dermatitis herpetiformis is a common symptom of celiac disease that features an itchy, blistery skin rash on the elbows, knees, torso, scalp, and buttocks. Proper treatment for the underlying celiac disease will also treat dermatitis herpetiformis.

Q: When should I see a doctor for celiac disease?

A: If you experience symptoms of celiac disease or general digestive discomfort for more than two weeks, you should consult an experienced Beverly Hills rheumatologist or internal medicine specialist.

Q: How is celiac disease diagnosed?

A: Your internist may request a complete medical history and need to perform a blood test and/or endoscopy of the small intestines for a proper diagnosis.

Q: How is scleroderma diagnosed?

A: Blood tests, tissue samples, pulmonary function tests, CT scans, and echocardiograms all help doctors diagnose scleroderma.

Q: Who is at risk for developing scleroderma?

A: Although scleroderma can happen at any age, it is most commonly reported in individuals in mid-life. It is 4 to 5 times more common in women than in men. It can occur in almost anyone, hypothyroidism is more common in women over the age of 60.

Q: Is hormone therapy for hypothyroidism right for me?

A: To determine if you have hypothyroidism and how best to treat it, always consult an experienced internal medicine specialist. Each individual is unique, so your treatment plan will be tailored for your needs.

Q: What are musculoskeletal ultra-sound guided joint injections?

A: “Musculoskeletal ultra-sound guided joint injections” is a term used by expert rheumatologists to describe a procedure in which joint injections are “guided,” or performed with the assistance of a musculoskeletal ultra-sound.

Q: How much does treatment for psoriatic arthritis cost?

A: Treatment will depend on the type any severity of your condition. If you have specific questions regarding pricing, contact a psoriatic arthritis specialist.

Q: Who should I consult about my psoriatic arthritis?

A: If you think you may have psoriatic arthritis, is important to speak with either a rheumatologist or an internal medicine specialist. During a one-on-one consultation, your physician will be able to assess your condition and recommend a course of treatment.

Q: What treatment options are available for psoriatic arthritis?

A: The most effective form of symptom management for psoriatic arthritis is medication. Your physician will determine which medication will best relieve your symptoms.

Contact Beverly Hills rheumatologist, Dr Susan Baker, today for a consultation!

Next, learn more about Dr. Baker.

View Full Desktop Version

Copyright © 2016. Susan A. Baker MD Rheumathology & Internal Medicine | By Susan A. Baker MD | Design & Development by Goldman Marketing Group | Sitemap

The information available on this web site is provided for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace a medical consultation where a physician's judgment may advise you about specific disorders, conditions and or treatment options. We hope the information will be useful for you to become more educated about your health care decisions.